Monday, January 8, 2007

the walks, the talks

Doug liked walking with me. I may or may not have been training for the Breast Cancer 3Day or just back from the 3day and still taking long walks. He was willing to do anything to please us, he had the "disease to please" I tried not to take advantage of this but he seemed to enjoy the walks also. It was very.... what? therapeutic for both of us. He talked and talked about what was going on, trying to sort things out out-loud. I enjoyed listening to him and I tried to ask just the right questions. It was a safe place for him being on those walks. He seems to know that my intent for him was only for his highest good; I didn't want to scold, lecture, preach or change him-he seems to know that as time went on because the stories got more and more truthful and candid.
Since he was a hockey player the best metaphor for his life I can use is that Doug kept "hitting the boards" in all he did. And hit them fearlessly and frequently. That was just what he was and what he did....hit the boards. Doug has finally stopped hitting the boards.
No more hurting, no more pain. Rest in Peace dear friend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you were so good to him mommy... thank you for loving him and understanding how much i loved him... i love you and so did he....