Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Atlanta

I can't decide what it is about Atlanta, but every time I 'm there. You're there.
I don't know if it's because it’s a place we traveled that was just ours. A place we once talked about moving to. A place where we have some happy memories. The place where I grieved for you after the funeral was over, but something about that city calls to you whenever I'm there.

June of 2003 we were waiting for our plane home to Detroit after my sisters wedding. We sat around for quite a while and after we had some lunch you insisted there was time for ice cream. You ignored me when I said, "You don't have time to wait in the damn line!" You went to the Ben & Jerry's ice cream stand and ordered yourself the biggest waffle cone I've ever seen. I want to say it was Mint Chocolate Chip. You were running through the airport, careful not to spill, because my dad and I were the only ones not yet on the plane! You almost missed the flight!
I always think of that story when I land in Atlanta and every time I go, I end up in the same terminal as that day and in those moments I can feel you around me.

I didn't let myself say goodbye to you until after I got to Atlanta last December. I think maybe I needed my mom to help me. I needed the song you sent her and I needed to be away from all that reminded me of you at home. Maybe that is why you always meet me there.

Maybe it is the plethora of Waffle Houses.

---Waffle House is perfectly acceptable option after the reception of a wedding. Especially if you are still wearing your suit and bridesmaid dress.---

Did you open a Waffle House in Heaven? There still aren't any in Michigan and I can't find one in Chicago either.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.